Hey there,
This week we learned about e-portfolios. E-portfolios are a great way to keep things organized for a classroom. As a teacher, i can put my lesson plans up on the page ahead of time so that the students can take a look at what is coming next and know what to expect. Also, I think it's a good idea to have the standards of the state posted after each lesson plan so the students and also the parents know that the lesson will cover certain standards. Teacher's can also use the e-portfolio and write most about themselves on it. They can post pictures of their friends and family and talk about their likes and dislikes. This intimacy with the students might make them feel like a teacher is actually a real person that they can relate too--possibly leading to a better relationship and better learning experiences.
The advantages of using e-portfolios is that children can look up their assignments whenever they want. If there is a project due, steps to finish the project can be listed on one of the pages. It can also give information on when it's due and tips on how to create a great final product. Also, if students can look at lesson plans ahead of time, if they are accelerated learners, they can get ahead in class. This is also a great way for the teacher to stay on task and keep up on their lesson plans.
A disadvantage of an e-portfolio would be that there is no place to have discussions like you could for a blog. If students have questions, they have to wait till the next class in order to ask rather than get answers through the internet. Besides not being able to have discussions, overall, I think e-portfolios are a great thing for lesson plans for a teacher.
Smiles,
Melody
Sunday, October 4, 2009
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

Melody,
ReplyDeleteI really enjoyed reading your post! I think that you comments about e-portfolios adding an intimacy factor between teachers and students was a great point. Teachers can choose what they want to reveal, obviously, but I think that any little fact about their homelife, or hobbies would maybe make students feel more comfortable. And using an e-portfolio would give teachers the opportunity to do so.
Furthermore, I also found your idea of posting the standards on the website for each assignment. It is heard very often that students ask why do I need this? when will I ever use this? With the standards right there below or next to the assignment, I think that students can answer their own question of why they need to know something!
Lastly, you said that e-portfolios would be great for accelerated learners. The e-portfolio could hold the syllabus and all assignment rubrics, in which the accelerated, or last minute students would always have access to!
Great post!
Melody,
ReplyDeleteThat's funny that you just commented on how alike our posts are because I just read yours and thought the same exact thing! I do agree with everything you have mentioned in your post. I totally think that it is a great way to keep things very organized. Something I never thought of was how the students can kind of get a head of the lessons if the teacher updates the e-portfolio with lessons for the upcoming weeks. Another thing that I also really agree with is how the teacher can update the about me page. They can include pictures and stuff like that which will let the student get a little more familiar with the teacher.
I really enjoyed reading your post... maybe because it is so much like mine!
Jacklyn