Sunday, October 11, 2009

Week 5

Hello all!!

Smartboards are probably the absolute coolest thing I have seen technology-wise thus far! Wow, whoever decided to create that was brilliant! Honestly, I have never seen anyone use a smartboard before. I wonder why that is? Probably because it HAS to be super expensive. I went to school in a school district that is more for lower-middle class so we didn't really have the funds to invest in such expensive technology. However, I feel like a smartboard would be a great asset to the classroom (if one has access to the money for it). I would definitely use it for math problems. I loved how the teacher can cover up answers without a piece of paper falling off an overhead every ten seconds. Using it to disect a frog is great too! Some people just cannot handle doing that type of stuff so this is a great alternative. I think overall, it is a great way for visual learners to learn. There are endless amounts of images to use to reenforce a message given.
To me, the advantages to the smartboard are much greater than the disadvatages. It seems like everything you need is right there in one place. It's incredible. If you haven't gotten the picture yet...I am seriously amazed by the smartboard. I feel like a whole new world has been opened to me now! But I think the main advantage is that it is very interactive and fun to use which is great for elementary students.
The only disadvantage I can think of at the moment is that there is SO MUCH STUFF. I know that my group, even after playing with it for about 30 minutes, did not even touch on half the stuff that is given. It would be really hard to get familiar with it unless you explored it every single day. I just think it would be hard to truly know just how much it has to offer.

That's all for now,
Melody

3 comments:

  1. Hey, we have these in my schools and i think they're pretty awesome. Nothing beats a good old white board though... :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. The SMARTBoards would take some getting used to, I completely agree. I also have not experienced these boards in my highschool. I dont think they were that popular four years ago or maybe the were too expensive, like you said. However, it definitely would have been a great addition to the classroom. Those papers falling off the ledge can get annoying and disecting the frog was way too cool!

    I really had a great experience working with the SMARTBoard. I am a visual learner and this was like candy to my eyes. I highly recommend them. And Melody, I think we both had an abundance of fun with these thingsb! That's because they're "Top notch"! Woo!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Melody,

    I totally agree with your post. I think smart-boards are great too! I remember when I was first introduced to smart boards in high school. My history teacher would put notes up on the smart board and that was about it. It was cool that in class we got to learn about all the different things you could do on a smart board. I especially like that you mentioned math on the smart board. It is so convenient that you can write a problem on the board and cover it up without slapping a piece of paper to it. In my post I mentioned that it is cool that you could record things on the smart board. That is another awesome feature that I learned about the smart board. I really hope that in the future I am able to work with smart boards. They are a great addition the a classroom!

    Jacklyn

    ReplyDelete