Sunday, October 18, 2009

Week 6

Hey!

Last week we were informed about copyright issues. This was a weird concept for me. Honestly, I dont think I've ever really paid attention to copyright issues....ever. However, as a teacher, it's super important to be aware of such issues so that your students see that it's not your work that they are viewing; that someone else took the time to write or take a picture of it and post it on the internet for other people to use. I never really thought about how important it is to show where you got a picture and who took it. I have NEVER done that before. Does that make me a terrible person? yeah, probably. I'm very aware of it now. I know that the right thing to do is to change that habit.
I have never really seen any school policies dealing with copyright issues. Mostly just plagiarism. That seems to be the biggest issue for schools to reguard.
Most internet sources are copyright protected. Books are copyright protected by their authors. So yeah, I have definitely used copyright protected materials.
In order to deal with copyright issues in my class I would first have take it up with the school to create a new policy dealing with copyright issues. After that I would lead by example with any material I present to the class by siting the images I use. When my students want to write papers or make powerpoints I will be sure to teach them how to site their information properly so they aren't unknowingly breaking any laws.
Overall, I've never really thought about copyright issues and I've realized that I haven't been aware of the fact that I never site any images I use. Having this brought to my knowledge has made me realize that this is wrong. If as an elementary education teacher, I can teach my students early on about copyright issues, they will have less problems with it in the future.

Until next time,
Mel

1 comment:

  1. Melody,

    I can relate to your post. I've never really given a lot of thought to copyright issues either. When using images from the web, I tend to just copy and paste and not even realize whether or not there is a copyright symbol on them! As a future teacher, this is not ok because there are a lot of consequences that come with copyright issues. Not to mention that it is against the law. I agree with you 100% when you say that you are going to teach your students how to properly cite things. I think that is extrememly important. I wish that when I was at a younger level this was really stressed to me. It is an important issue. Overall, I really enjoyed reading your post.

    Jacklyn

    ReplyDelete