Hey there,
This week we learned how to create our own class websites. We used ning in order to do this. It was pretty easy to set up so that was good. I love that you can personalize the website a lot. There are so many options that you can do in order to make it your own. I also enjoy the fact that you can make blog posts and also have discussion boards on the webpage. This would be great for the class if they have any questions or need an update on something. It cool that you can upload photos and videos for your class to view. This is great if you show a video in class and your students were really interested in it and want easy access to it. I also really like the fact that you can make multiple groups. This is great if you have select groups for projects or study groups where the students can have easy discussions about their assignments and whatnot.
What I don't like about it is all the procedures it takes to personalize the webpage. It doesn't seem like it's an easy processes and there is a lot you have to go through just to make it look nice.
I think this is a must have in the classroom. It's so useful all around. Posting assignments, having discussions, using blogs, posting videos viewed in class etc are all important for the students. Having a webpage for the classroom makes it easy for each student to stay organized because they know right where to go if there is ever a question.
Thats all for now,
Melody
Sunday, November 15, 2009
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

I completely agree with you, Melody! The Website is a must-have in the classroom! There is so much that it can be used for and helps the class as well as the teacher stay organized. With everything from the class online, there is no reason for students to get too far behind as long as they have some sort of internet access.
ReplyDeleteAlso, it is cool that we can download videos and photos. Things such as field trips or classroom projects would be nice to post on the website. However, i would want Ning to be a little bit more private. Therefore the students would be a little more safe with pictures and other kind of medias online with their faces in it.
I really enjoy Ning. This CEP class has brought me towards truly liking it and then being allowed to make our own....that was the icing on the cake! I'm excited about putting one together in my real "teaching" life
Melody,
ReplyDeleteI mentioned a lot of the same things in my blog that you mentioned in your blog. My favorite thing about creating our class websites through Ning was that you can personalize it. I like this because I can make it more fun and entertaining for my students. Another thing that I agree with is how easy it is to use! Just a few simple steps and we already had our websites. I said that I hope we get to explore the Ning websites a little more. I am interested about what kinds of other things we can add to our sites! I also think that this is a must have in the classroom. Hopefully I can keep on adding to my website until I have my own classroom and then use it!
See you tomorrow!
Jacklyn